In 2012, Cultural Strategies introduced The Social Revolución as an official event at the SXSW Interactive Festival; one year later, the movement has established itself as the premier platform for highlighting and supporting Latinos using social media to impact their community. We wanted to recap this year’s successes and accomplishments because without our online community it would’ve been impossible for The Social Revolución to keep going strong.
• The Revolucionario Awards reached new numbers with 170 nominations and over 23,000 votes. This year’s finalists were a strong group of Revolucionarios that impressed Los Comandantes (our panel of judges) who selected this year’s seven winners.
• Online buzz about The Social Revolución was equally impressive. Within just 40 days from the start of this year’s launch, we received 4.5 million impressions and grew our Facebook fan base by 460%. The event itself was packed with over 400 guests - from Revolucionario Winners to SXSW badge holders and special guests - La Revolución connected many influencers, both online and off.
• We want to give a special thanks to our media partners: HispanicAd, Social Distillery, MiTú Network, Anderson 3, ImpreMedia, Tr3s, Business Wire, Premiere Party Central and Dennis Burnett Photography for activating La Revolución.
• A huge thank you to our food and drink sponsors who kept our Revolucionarios happy at the event: Pabst Blue Ribbon, Lone Star, Hecho en México, Tequila 1921, Jumex, and Chameleon Cold Brew Coffee.
• Our musical performers, Las Cafeteras and Piñata Protest, both delivered a unique blend of rhythm and lyrical genius to capture the true spirit of the Social Revolución. Grammy-award winning DJ, Adrian Quesada and DJ Eddie RZA kept las caderas moving all-night with cumbia, rock and other popular Spanish hits.
• Last pero not least, it goes without saying that this success would not be possible without the help of our Allies - Thank You All!
Being Latino - A communication platform designed to educate, entertain and connect all people across the global Latino spectrum. @beinglatino
Cuéntame - A place for Latinos! Whether you are a sports fan, movie fan, activist, artist, student, parent, organizer, award winning novelist, astronaut, actor, painter or anything else, all are welcome at here! @mycuentame
DigiBunch, LLC - The largest database of Latino viral-videos and picture memes online, with a dash of the latest Latino music and movie trailers. @DigiBunch
Juan of Words - A blog about Juan’s life – past, present and future, as well as other topics most easily classified under the Hispanic Lifestyle umbrella, but by no means exclusive for only a Latino audience. @Juanofwords
LatinoFoodie - A food and beverage blog created by Art Rodriguez, a culinary expert, and Stephen Chavez, a food and beverage PR consultant in the Hispanic market. @LatinoFoodie
Latina Lista - Exploring the politics and social justice issues of the day, while elevating the voices, stories and lives of Latinos and Latinas. @LatinaLista
Latino Rebels - Humor, commentary and analysis of the US Latino world. Latino Rebels are social media traviesos who believe in alternative journalism, activism, and general mayhem. @latinorebels
Pocho.com - Ñews, humor y satire for Latinos. Pocho.com finds, dissects and pokes fun at current events, politics, celebrities, lifestyles and everything in between. @PochoDotCom
Más Wired- A non-profit organization that highlights the work of Latinos nationwide. They feature the work of Latinos in tech, the media and online through the use of online stories, video and digital visualization. @MasWired
MiTú Network - A YouTube network that brings together Latino content creators with advertisers as well as viewers. They feature the work of Latinos in health, beauty, food, family, home and pop culture. @MiTuNetwork
The News Taco - Insightful news, analysis and opinion from a Latino perspective. Like a taco, their news gives you a little bit of everything in one bite. @TheNewsTaco
Spanglish Baby - Ana and Lilian, two best friends dedicated to making sure that their children are proud to be bilingual and bicultural, created a blog to provide other Latin-American parents with resources to do the same. @spanglishbaby
Vivir Latino – Vivir Latino strives to represent the diverse Latino population in the U.S. and globally from the perspective of progressive/radical Latinos born and raised in the U.S through news and information sharing. @VivirLatino
Las Blogueras - El punto de encuentro para las blogueras latinas que escriben en español. Esta es la página donde las blogueras pueden compartir noticias con la comunidad. @Bloguera_Latina
Texans for Economic Progress - An Austin-based non-profit advocacy group that monitors the Texas economy. Texans for Economic Progress works closely with elected officials and regulators at the local, state and federal level to further educate on issues impacting competition in communications. @TX4EconProgress
Mamiverse - A social networking hub for Latina moms and families to share similar lifestyles and community news. @MAMIVERSE
Latinitas – A charitable organization based in Austin and El Paso, Texas dedicated on empowering Latina youth by achieving personal and academic success through technology and media. @Latinitas
Mi Vida Tec - A technology and lifestyle bilingual community on Facebook that showcases new technology and information in an approachable and friendly way. @MiVidaTec
IMPACTO Latin News - A multi-media news source based in New York whose content includes news stories and information on community, social, political, business, entertainment and sports news, along with a variety of other topics of interest relevant to Latinos. @ImpactoLatino
More than Latina - More than Latina is an online platform for the woman that is dedicated to empowering herself through education, health and the empowerment of others through community activism and engagement. @morethanlatina
Nibbles & Feasts - This Bilingual blog is devoted to exploring the tastes, sights and sounds of international cuisine through the eyes of Los Angeles resident Ericka Sanchez. @NibblesNFeasts
Latinos in Social Media (LATISM: Dallas/Austin/San Antonio): An organization dedicated to advancing the social, civic and economic status of the Latino community. LATISM also helps to raise awareness among corporate brands, NGOs and government entities about using social media to reach Latinos. @latismATX @LATISM @Latism_DAL @Latism_SA
¡Que Viva La Revolución!